RAINSTICK TRADING AND FAIR TRADE
We are often asked, are you fair trade? The answer
is Yes. We trade with the following principles at
- We agree a fair price and then we stick with it.
We are also open to price increases where necessary,
in return our suppliers trust us to tell them when
too high a price is a commercial issue. Thus we work
to the mutual benefit.
- We pay significant amounts upfront and trust our
suppliers to deliver as specified
- We are loyal and reasonable in all our dealings
with developing suppliers, helping them to understand
the export market where we can. We want to work together
to build long term relationships that are both financially
and materially sustainable.
- We bring in the vast majority of our goods from
developing countries, especially African and South
American but also Asian.
- We specialise in handmade items. We do not buy from
- Sustaining natural handicrafts is something we are
passionate about. We believe that in many places it
gives people a unique chance to build themselves an
independent and dignified existence.
- We look for products that can be produced without
damaging the local environment and culture.
- We contribute regularly to charities dedicated to
improving social conditions in producer countries
- We feel it is important to respect other cultures
and do not try and impose our own cultural ideals
on our suppliers.
For the moment we have decided against seeking certification.
There is not one organisation who are an exact or
representative fit. We feel that we are more in tune
with our suppliers than an accreditation could prove
or even show, and the cost of gaining it has can be
put to better use.
We are open and approachable to our customers and
pleased to answer questions on any of our supply sources;
we also like to show the real people at work on our
web site in either photos or short video clips.